Atlas Electronic Medication System
We are currently having an electronic medications system introduced into the home and below are some of the many benefits of the system we would like to share with you:
- The system has barcode safety. This means that Human error will be reduced.
- When the barcode is scanned, the system runs its own security checks; this includes dates, times, medication, dosage and recipient. This reduces the human error.
- Research has showed the system eradicated 21 out of 23 potential errors in care homes. These errors can pose significant risk to the resident.
- Research has also shown that the system can save hours’ time spent on chasing prescriptions, signing in and returning meds. The research showed an average home spends 350 hours per month on medications and Atlas has saved 65 hours of that.
- On average we currently spend 200 hours per month, chasing medications and collecting acute prescriptions as well as signing in and out and re-ordering and auditing. This would be almost completely eliminated as the system re-orders and balances stock so that you do not run out.
- Auditing will be done at the touch of a button and we will be able to see meds rounds in real time. This will potentially save 4-5 hours per month.
- The main purpose of the system is to maintain the safety with medications in the home. This is paramount with CQC and they really like the systems being used for safety.
- Atlas records everything. Every medication is logged with codes and staff codes, so a full audit trail is available.
- Stock control is balanced by the system. This means we should not run out and we will not have lots of wastage either.
- The reports that are available help us to ensure that residents therapies are reviewed regularly. We can use the reports to send to GP’s and this can help to manage pain and other medications.
- The system will help us to enforce good practice, adhere to PRN policies and protocols, homely remedies, topical creams and controlled drug procedures are enforced on the system. It will help us to improve compliance.
- Atlas central can use the information from meds rounds to identify training needs and areas of practice that need to be addressed.
Added: 9th June 2020